How to File a Grievance
HOW TO FILE A GRIEVANCE UNDER
THE ILWU-PMA SPECIAL SECTION 13.2 GRIEVANCE PROCEDURES FOR
DISCRIMINATION AND HARASSMENT COMPLAINTS
(PACIFIC COAST LONGSHORE & CLERKS AGREEMENT)
- Notify your union Business Agent and immediate supervisor (clerk supervisor, Walking Boss/Foreman) of the problem as soon as possible. If they are not available or are the subject of your complaint, then contact other union officers and/or management.
- Get a Special Section 13.2 Grievance Form from the Business Agent/Walking Boss/Foreman, dispatch halls, PMA offices or employer work sites or on the internet at www.pmanet.org.
- Make sure you have a copy and understand Section 13 of the Pacific Coast Longshore & Clerks Agreement (“PCLCA”), the ILWU-PMA Equal Employment Opportunity Policy, the Special Grievance Procedures and the Guidelines for Remedies regarding discrimination and harassment problems. (Copies are available at any ILWU local or PMA office.)
- File within fifteen (15) calendar days of the incident a written Special Section 13.2 Grievance Form by mailing or faxing it to the Area Arbitrator, with a copy mailed or faxed to the JPLRC c/o the PMA office in your Area, by using the fax numbers or mailing addresses stated on the form. You must timely file the grievance form in order to have the problem corrected under the PCLCA. Any late filings will require approval based on good cause by the Area Arbitrator.
- Make sure you immediately read all communications mailed to you regarding your grievance and be available and prepared for the hearing before the Area Arbitrator.
- Work with your union or other representative to prepare your case and gather your witnesses and any documents for the hearing.
- Follow the procedures detailed in the Special Grievance Procedures as to how the hearing is conducted, the remedies available and the rights of appeal.