Labor Relations Administrator I - Northern California
Job Title: Labor Relations Administrator I
Department: Labor Relations
Location: Oakland, CA
Reports To: Assistant Area Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
(This is not a dockworker position. It is not covered by the contracts negotiated between the ILWU and PMA.)
Put your experience and talents to work in a role with a unique company - the Pacific Maritime Association (PMA). PMA is a non-profit mutual benefit corporation that serves as a multi-employer collective bargaining agent for approximately 75 shipping lines, stevedore companies and marineterminal operators at California, Oregon and Washington ports. West Coast port operations (including non-containerized cargo such as bulk and autos) now support 9.2 million U.S. jobs and contribute12.5 percent of the U.S. GDP.
PMA’s primary purpose is to negotiate and administer labor contracts with the International Longshore & Warehouse Union on behalf of the Association’s member companies, as well as administrating payroll and certain benefits. Our headquarters and administrative office is located in San Francisco, California, with area offices in Southern California (Long Beach, with satellite offices in Port Hueneme and San Diego) and the Pacific Northwest (Portland, Oregon and Seattle and Tacoma, Washington) in addition to Northern California (Oakland).
This key labor relations position requires proactively interpreting and implementing provisions of the ILWU-PMA Longshore labor agreements in order to resolve problems and assure compliance by both parties. The Labor Relations Administrator must be able to utilize exceptional communication skills and strong integrity, while exhibiting sensitivity to precedents.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Analyze the collective bargaining agreement and interpret the intent, spirit, and terms of the contracts to counsel management in the development and application of labor relations policies and practices.
- Represent management and meet with Union officials and company representatives to investigate and resolve grievances.
- Forecast manpower needs.
- Prepare for and participate in Labor Relations Committee meetings, arbitrations, and negotiations.
- Advise managers on labor agreement and contract implementation (e.g., discipline, work practice changes).
- Identify chronic labor relations problem areas and recommend solutions.
- Prepare statistical reports of types and frequency of actions taken concerning grievances, arbitration, and related labor relations activities, to identify problem areas.
- Investigate violation complaints against Longshore workers. Submit findings and recommend actions.
- Assist in supervision of the administrative staff and mentor the Labor Relations Assistants
- Mentor junior Labor Relations staff.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
To perform the job successfully, the candidate must be competent in the following areas:
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret collective bargaining agreements, common scientific and technical journals, financial reports and legal documents.
- Demonstrated reasonable knowledge of the ILWU-PMA Pacific Coast Longshore and Clerks Agreement and the Pacific Coast Walking Bosses/Foremen Agreement, dispatching procedures in the relevant port areas, and grievance and arbitration preparation skills.
- Strong communication, interpersonal and negotiating skills in working with all levels of the organization.
- Proven ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations with diplomacy, resolving problems in a timely manner using sound judgment and discretion.
- Agility with multiple projects, working calmly and with patience under pressure.
- Exhibit a high level of proficiency of Microsoft Office applications, including word processing Excel spreadsheets and PowerPoint presentations; Lotus notes experience is a plus.
- Possess significant forecasting and statistical reporting skills.
- Ability to prioritize and plan work activities using strong organizational skills.
- Exhibits strong attention to details, demonstrating accuracy and thoroughness, monitoring own work to ensure quality.
- Experience in effective presentation of information to top management and public groups.
- Demonstrated initiative, effectively working independently and as part of a team.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or other related subject from an accredited four-year college or university is required.
- Ten or more years of experience in a corporate environment or similar environment.
- Must be able to work and sit at a computer terminal for an extended period of time.
- Must be able to lift up to 5 lbs.
- Must be able to crouch, bend and reach on a daily basis.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
Position is based in downtown Oakland, CA conveniently located close to public transportation. The work environment combines an office setting with frequent travel outside of the office area to various ports in Northern California, with visits to docks, terminals and ships. This position requires frequent visits to docks, terminals and ships, including climbing on ships, in all weather conditions, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
A valid state Driver’s License and reliable transportation are required for this job.
Pacific Maritime Association is an equal opportunity employer.
Please email or fax your cover letter and resume (in MS Word, PDF, or text format) to:
Human Resources Department
Please write “Labor Relations Administrator – Oak” in the subject line.
HR (confidential) Fax: (415) 520-5314