Accounting Manager – Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable & Fixed Asset Operations - San Francisco Headquarters
Job Title: Accounting Manager – Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable & Fixed Asset Operations
Department: Accounting Department
Location: San Francisco, CA Reports to: Assistant Controller, PMA & LRC Operations
FLSA Status: Exempt
(This is not a dockworker position. It is not covered by the contracts negotiated between the ILWU and PMA.)
Put your experience and talents to work in an Area Management role with a unique company - the Pacific Maritime Association (PMA). PMA is a non-profit mutual benefit corporation that serves as a multi-employer collective bargaining agent for approximately 75 shipping lines, stevedore companies and marine terminal operators at California, Oregon and Washington ports. West Coast port operations (including non-containerized cargo such as bulk and autos) now support 9.2 million U.S. jobs and contribute 12.5 percent of the U.S. GDP.
PMA’s primary purpose is to negotiate and administer labor contracts with the International Longshore & Warehouse Union on behalf of the Association’s member companies, as well as administrating payroll and certain benefits. Our headquarters and administrative office is located in San Francisco, California, with area offices in Southern California (Long Beach, with satellite offices in Port Hueneme, and San Diego), the Pacific Northwest (Portland, Oregon, Seattle and Tacoma Washington), and Northern California (Oakland).
Reporting to the Assistant Controller, the Accounting Manager will manage the activities associated with the Accounts Payable (AP), Accounts Receivable (AR), Fixed Asset (FA), and expense reporting operations of various PMA and related entities and support management in the preparation of financial statements and tax filings. The position will also lead project management for accounting and accounting system process improvement and system implementation projects focused in AP, AR, FA and expense reporting. The position directly supervises professional accounting staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage AP and AR operations, including PMA tonnage - transactions, billings, month end close, audit support, collections, and tax reporting for PMA as well as managing the development and delivery of related internal and external reports.
- Responsible for capital expenditure operations, including: maintaining budgets, assuring purchases conform to budget, providing analysis of capital budgets and spending, month end close, audit support and maintaining Oracle FA and lease accounting systems.
- Manage direct report staff on activities and deliverables associated with multiple entities in order to ensure timeliness, accuracy, and completeness of transactions and financial information in accordance with internal policies and procedures, Department of Labor (DOL) and Internal Revenue Services (IRS) requirements, and US GAAP.
- Manage preparation and compliance monitoring of state, local, and property tax filings, 1099 processing, and collection of W-9 forms for vendors, working directly with tax authorities and vendors as required.
- Serve as the lead Accounting representative in working with other departments and outside service providers to maintain required functionality and system control for Oracle AP, AR, FA, and Concur systems.
- Manage system and process improvement projects focused in AP, AR, FA and expense reporting; work with vendors, IT, and other departments in developing tasks, timelines, project milestones, and training. This includes reengineering high volume transactional processing by leveraging and improving on system capabilities.
- Responsible for applying the appropriate GAAP accounting standards and reviewing complex accounting transactions for non-profit and for-profit entities.
- Produce timely and accurate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements and tax returns as assigned for PMA association audit, Maritech subsidiary, and related entities.
- Perform analysis supporting the Assistant Controller, Controller, CFO or other senior management in audit, project, policy compliance, and budgeting activities.
- Under the direction of the Assistant Controller and in accordance with management and auditor recommendations, create, develop, and communicate policies, procedures, and internal controls related to General Ledger (GL), AP, AR, FA, and expense reporting.
The position will supervise and direct 1-2 accounting staff responsible for the accounting operations for PMA and related entities. The Accounting Manager – AP, AR & FA Operations is responsible for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of employee performance and work assignments.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
To perform the job successfully, the candidate must be knowledgeable and capable in the following areas:
- Proven management skills for directing work assignments and meeting deadlines. Ability to lead, supervise, motivate, train, and evaluate staff; handle multiple demands; and prioritize workloads; establish and maintain positive, cooperative, and productive working relationships.
- Possess strong organizational and analytical skills in managing shifting priorities.
- Proven ability and experience in exercising good judgment and discretion in handling confidential materials and matters. Display flexibility to work effectively in a changing environment and ability to adapt to changes in work environment, work assignments, and/or changes in priorities. Sustain productivity in a fast-paced environment.
- Expertise in Accounting and Financial Reporting, including GAAP.
- Possess excellent communication, written, oral, interpersonal, and teamwork skills; communicate constructively and confidently, listen openly, and collaborate well with staff and others in different groups.
- Display integrity and work ethic beyond reproach as position will be hands-on and lead by example in “doing the right thing,” and take ownership for meeting the goals and objectives of the department/organization.
- Convey a professional and positive attitude with action/results orientation to problem solving and to continually improve the operational performance of the staff/ department and eliminate backlogs.
- Model independent thinking and ability to foster collaborative brainstorming or knowledge sharing; predisposition to mentor and subsequently increase responsibilities as team develops.
- Show facility in multi-tasking to meet multiple deadlines while maintaining vigilant attention to detail and focus on producing accurate and complete information.
- Display strong initiative for own technical development including learning from others about the nuances of the organization’s operational activities and industry.
- Ability to effectively communicate accounting and financial principles to a wide variety of individuals. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with peers, staff, and management and outside business contacts.
- Experience leading project team members and mentoring staff.
- Extensive and excellent computer skills and software such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Ability to use software tools to present data clearly and concisely.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four year college or university in Accounting, Finance, or related field required.
- 10-12 years of progressively responsible payables, receivables and fixed assets experience, and 3-5 years of supervisory and management experience.
- Functional experience managing accounting operations, system implementations and projects in complex accounting systems such as Oracle or SAP, especially in GL, AP, AR, FA, and reporting.
- Experience managing paperless AP and expense reporting systems, preferably Concur Expense and Concur Invoice.
- Must be able to work and sit at a computer terminal for an extended period of time.
- Must be able to lift up to 5 lbs.
- Must be able to crouch, bend and reach on a daily basis.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
The work environment is that of a typical office setting and can be busy and fast-paced at times, particularly when meeting deadlines. The office is located in the financial district of San Francisco CA, conveniently located near public mass transit and retail center.
Pacific Maritime Association is an equal opportunity employer.
Please email or fax your cover letter and resume (in MS Word format) to:
Human Resources Department
Please mark the subject line: “Accounting Manager – AP, AR & FA Operations – San Francisco
Fax: (415) 520-5314