Assistant Director, IT Development - Northern California
Job Title: Assistant Director, IT Development
Department: Information Services
Location: Oakland, CA
Reports To: Coast Director IT and Payroll
FLSA Status: Exempt
(This is not a dockworker position. It is not covered by the contracts negotiated between the ILWU and PMA.)
Put your experience and talents to work in a role with a unique company - the Pacific Maritime Association (PMA). PMA is a non-profit mutual benefit corporation that serves as a multi-employer collective bargaining agent for approximately 75 shipping lines, stevedore companies and marine terminal operators at California, Oregon and Washington ports. West Coast port operations (including non-containerized cargo such as bulk and autos) now support 9 million U.S. jobs and contribute 12.5 percent of the U.S. GDP.
PMA’s primary purpose is to negotiate and administer labor contracts with the International Longshore & Warehouse Union on behalf of the Association’s member companies, as well as administrating payroll and certain benefits. Our headquarters and administrative office is located in San Francisco, California, with area offices in Southern California (Long Beach, with satellite offices in Port Hueneme and San Diego) and the Pacific Northwest (Portland, Oregon and Seattle and Tacoma, Washington) in addition to Northern California (Oakland).
Reporting to the Coast Director Information Technology, the Assistant Director, IT Development will be responsible for leading the ongoing initiatives around building the business application roadmap and overseeing timely and high quality delivery of engineering projects that include enhancements and development of new PMA software modules as well as support of existing PMA systems. The successful candidate will be well versed in the management of development and support projects for Oracle database, Java, E-Business Suite applications and different Oracle development tools.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Work with key stakeholders to identify business requirements and roadmap for new PMA systems.
- .Oversee timely and high quality deliverables from a team of developers and project managers.
- Identify and plan resource allocations for complex development projects.
- Work with software vendor support and development teams for business application issues.
- Ensure quality for all production software modules and applications.
- Ownership of ongoing initiatives and projects including:
- Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) project planning for analysis, design, test and delivery of modules needed by PMA business stakeholders (Labor Relations, Human Resources, Longshore Payroll and Finance)
- Ongoing interface at the functional and executive leadership levels throughout the development process to clarify and manage expectations for functionality and delivery.
- Ad-hoc resource planning and allocation of the development team to meet quality and delivery standards
- Oversight for overall alignment and final specifications approval for project business requirements and design
- Oversight for all aspects of development for Oracle RAC and Exadata environments including: OracleEBS and PMA custom systems, Oracle Payroll and Financials applications, Oracle RDBMS, Forms/Reports, PL/SQL, BIP and other open-source tools, as well as for Java and other Web technologies.
- Expertise in design of secured applications using sensitive personnel data and information.
- Expertise with Linux and Unix operating environments.
- Deep understanding and vigorous enforcement of development coding standards, policies and procedures.
The position directly supervises the Manager, Development and oversees two employees in a department of 14 staff members supplemented by multiple consultant or contractor resources. The Assistant Director, IT Development is a hands-on working manager who also oversees the planning and alignment of daily activities and employee performance necessary to keep projects on track with timely high-quality deliverables at or under budget.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
To perform the job successfully, the candidate must be knowledgeable and capable in the following areas:
- Proven management acumen facing technical resources: Developer staff.
- Thorough understanding of Oracle applications and databases.
- Able to write SQL queries and perform data analysis
- Current or past hands-on experience on Oracle EBS – Payroll, HR and Financials and PMA custom applications.
- Able to quickly learn new open-source tools to help modernize PMA’s development.
- Possess excellent communication, written, oral, and interpersonal and teamwork skills, communicate constructively and confidently, listen openly, and collaborate well with staff and others in different groups.
- Convey a professional and positive attitude with action/results orientation to problem solving and to continually improve the operational performance of the staff/ department and eliminate backlogs.
- Proven ability and experience in exercising good judgment and discretion in handling confidential materials and matters.
- Display flexibility to work effectively in a changing environment and ability to adapt to changes in work environment, work assignments, and/or changes in priorities. Sustain productivity in a fast-paced environment.
- Model independent thinking and ability to foster collaborative brainstorming or knowledge sharing; predisposition to mentor and subsequently increase responsibilities as team develops.
- Show facility in multi-tasking to meet multiple deadlines while maintaining vigilant attention to detail and focus on producing accurate and complete information.
- Possess strong organizational skills in managing to daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly or annual deadlines.
- Display strong initiative for own technical development including learning from others about the nuances of the organization’s operational activities and industry.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with peers, staff, and management and outside business contacts.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four year college or university with emphasis in computer science or related disciplines required. .
- Master’s degree in Computer Science preferred.
- Fifteen (15) or more years of progressively responsible computer technology experience required.
- Technical certificates in Oracle development tools preferred.
- Must be able to work and sit at a computer terminal for an extended period of time.
- Must be able to lift up to 10 lbs.
- Must be able to crouch, bend and reach on a daily basis.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
The work environment is that of a typical office setting and can be very hectic at times, particularly when meeting deadlines. The offices are located in downtown Oakland within easy walking distance of public transportation and the retail center of the city. Travel may be required to West Coast port office locations, including overnight stays. Infrequent other travel may be required from time to time.
Pacific Maritime Association is an equal opportunity employer.
Please email or fax your cover letter and resume (in MS Word, PDF, or text format) to:
Human Resources Department
Please write “Assistant Director, IT Development” in the subject line.
HR (confidential) Fax: (415) 520-5314