Network Infrastructure Engineer - Northern California
Job Title: Infrastructure Engineer
Department: Information Services
Location: Oakland, CA
Reports To: Director Information Technology
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
(This is not a dockworker position. It is not covered by the contracts negotiated between the ILWU and PMA.)
Put your experience and talents to work in a role with a unique company - the Pacific Maritime Association (PMA). PMA is a non-profit mutual benefit corporation that serves as a multi-employer collective bargaining agent for approximately 75 shipping lines, stevedore companies and marine terminal operators at California, Oregon and Washington ports. West Coast port operations (including non-containerized cargo such as bulk and autos) now support 9 million U.S. jobs and contribute 12.5 percent of the U.S. GDP.
PMA’s primary purpose is to negotiate and administer labor contracts with the International Longshore & Warehouse Union on behalf of the Association’s member companies, as well as administrating payroll and certain benefits. Our headquarters and administrative office is located in San Francisco, California, with area offices in Southern California (Long Beach, with satellite offices in Port Hueneme and San Diego) and the Pacific Northwest (Portland, Oregon and Seattle and Tacoma, Washington) in addition to Northern California (Oakland).
Reporting to the Director Information Technology, the Infrastructure Engineer will support enterprise network infrastructure including all desktop computer hardware, software, Microsoft Operating systems and communication equipment. The position responsibilities include the planning, design, installation, configuration, testing, and implementation of equipment and services for IT enterprise projects, which includes hardware and software installation, and problem identification and resolution.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Develop and deploy complex enterprise infrastructure projects.
- Assume lead role and manage technical resources to deliver projects successfully and on time.
- Plan, allocate resources, coordinate, track and report progress on assigned projects.
- Monitor system performance and capacity, and provide periodic system status reports to Department management.
- Support software and hardware in the following IT environments:
- Network Operating Systems: Windows 2012 and 2008 Servers
- Administration of ASA and Palo Alto Networks Firewall including installation/upgrade and maintenance and administration functions
- Cisco Networking including routers and switches
- Cisco Unified Communications systems for voice applications
- VMware configuration, administration and management
- Storage Area Networks configuration and administration
- Management of security policies and monitoring
- Install, support, troubleshoot and resolve PMA LAN/WAN connectivity problems for desktop or laptop operations
- Perform Racking, configuration, and support of telecommunication equipment.
- Perform System administration functions for Windows Systems.
- Manage desktop and laptop hardware and software deployment, upgrades and maintenance.
- Manage the overall support and troubleshooting of all PMA desktop applications, Microsoft Office Suite, email clients, Oracle client, any other standard PMA supported software.
- Understand and enforce IT policies and procedures.
- Provide on call for support of critical business systems during non-business hours including weekends as required.
- Continuously monitor remote access requirements to ensure that the IT Department can consistently provide optimum service to user base.
- Support IT infrastructure operations and all urgent IT operational problems.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES - None
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
To perform the job successfully, the candidate must be knowledgeable and capable in the following areas:
- Thorough understanding of networking topologies, firewalls, routers and switches.
- Hands-on experience with Cisco networking including switches and VMWare administration.
- Possess excellent communication, written, oral, interpersonal and teamwork skills, communicate constructively and confidently, listen openly, and collaborate well with staff and others in different groups.
- Convey a professional and positive attitude with action/results orientation to problem solving and to continually improve operational performance and eliminate backlogs.
- Proven ability and experience in exercising good judgment and discretion in handling confidential materials and matters.
- Display flexibility to work effectively in a changing environment and ability to adapt to changes in work environment, work assignments, and/or changes in priorities.
- Sustain productivity in a fast-paced environment.
- Model independent thinking and ability to foster collaborative brainstorming or knowledge sharing; predisposition to mentor and subsequently increase responsibilities as team develops.
- Show facility in multi-tasking to meet multiple deadlines while maintaining vigilant attention to detail and focus on producing accurate and complete information or outcomes.
- Possess strong organizational skills in managing daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly or annual deadlines.
- Display strong initiative for own technical development including learning from others about the nuances of the organization’s operational activities and industry.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with peers, staff, and management and outside business contacts.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four year college or university with emphasis in computer science preferred.
- Seven to ten years of progressively responsible computer technology experience required.
- Technical certificates in appropriate areas preferred.
- Must be able to work and sit at a computer terminal for an extended period of time.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to crouch, bend and reach on a daily basis.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
The work environment is a fast paced office setting, with shifting priorities at times, particularly when meeting deadlines. The offices are located in downtown Oakland, CA within easy walking distance of public transportation and the retail center of the city. Travel may be required to West Coast port office locations, including overnight stays. Infrequent travel to other sites may be required from time to time.
Pacific Maritime Association is an equal opportunity employer.