Network Engineer I - San Francisco Headquarters
Job Title: Network Engineer I
Department: Information Services
Location: San Francisco, CA
Reports To: Director Information Technology
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
(This is not a dockworker position. It is not covered by the contracts negotiated between the ILWU and PMA.)
Put your experience and talents to work with a unique company - the Pacific Maritime Association (PMA). PMA is a non-profit mutual benefit corporation that serves as a multi-employer collective bargaining agent for approximately 75 shipping lines, stevedore companies and marine terminal operators at California, Oregon and Washington ports. West Coast port operations (including non-containerized cargo such as bulk and autos) now support 9 million U.S. jobs and contribute 12.5 percent of the U.S. GDP.
PMA’s primary purpose is to negotiate and administer labor contracts with the International Longshore & Warehouse Union on behalf of the Association’s member companies, as well as administrating payroll and certain benefits. Our headquarters and administrative office is located in San Francisco, California, with area offices in Southern California (Long Beach with satellite offices in Port Hueneme and San Diego) and the Pacific Northwest (Portland, Oregon and Seattle and Tacoma, Washington) in addition to Northern California (Oakland).
Reporting to the Director, Information Technology, the Network Engineer I supports enterprise infrastructure systems which include Microsoft Windows 2008 Servers, VMware infrastructure, Email Services, desktop hardware and software, Helpdesk services, and telecommunications equipment. The role is responsible for supporting new technology initiatives in a complex and highly integrated network environment. The position will also be responsible for the day to day administration, monitoring, and support of IT HelpDesk services for users at all levels of the organization.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Support IT infrastructure including: server and desktop hardware, software systems, and communications equipment.
- Provide IT technical support services for internal users at all levels of the organization.
- Implement and integrate new services, and day to day administration of IT Systems and services.
- Provide user helpdesk support, hardware and software installation, problem identification and resolution in a complex and highly integrated network environment.
- Provide on call support of critical business systems during non-business hours including weekends as required.
- Manage the data center facility including servers, communications equipment, and infrastructure.
- Ability to effectively plan, organize and prioritize assigned tasks and assignments.
- Customer focused with excellent communication skills.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES - None
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
To perform the job successfully, the candidate must be knowledgeable and highly proficient in the following technical areas:
- Windows 2008/2012 Server administration.
- Microsoft 2010 Office Suite or other business software configuration.
- Microsoft Windows 7/10 operating systems.
- Desktop and Laptop software and hardware installation and configuration.
- Cisco Networking routing and switching configuration and administration.
- Administration and support of telecommunications equipment.
- Office365 Email Server and Client administration and configuration.
- Racking and stacking of servers and equipment in Server Room and data center environments.
- Ability to work in a fast pace, multitasking, event driven work environment.
Other desirable software knowledge:
- MS Windows Power Shell scripting
- Desk Management Software (Kaseya or Kace).
- Network Management tools experience highly valued.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science from an accredited four year college or university.
- 5 years of experience or equivalent professional experience in position with similar responsibilities in an Information Technology organization.
Additional Certifications in the following technologies is desirable:
- MicroSoft MCSE
- Project Management
- Cisco Networking Router and Switch Configuration
- Must be able to work and sit at a computer terminal for an extended period of time.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to crouch, bend and reach on a daily basis.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
The work environment is that of a typical office setting and can be fast paced, particularly when meeting deadlines. The offices are located in San Francisco, California. Frequent travel required to Oakland California, and occasional travel to Washington and Oregon offices, including overnight stays. Infrequent other travel may be required from time to time.
The position is based at the San Francisco, California office; work assignments may require regular travel to other regional offices.
Pacific Maritime Association is an equal opportunity employer.
Please email or fax your cover letter and resume (in MS Word, PDF, or text format) to:
Human Resources Department
Please write “Network Engineer I – San Francisco” in the subject line.
HR (confidential) Fax: (415) 520-5314