Labor Relations Associate - Long Beach
Job Title: Labor Relations Associate
Department: Labor Relations
Location: Long Beach, CA
Reports to: Area Associate Director - Southern California
FLSA Status: Exempt
(This is not a dockworker position. It is not covered by the contracts negotiated between the ILWU and PMA.)
Put your experience and talents to work in a role with a unique company - the Pacific Maritime Association (PMA). PMA is a non-profit mutual benefit corporation that serves as a multi-employer collective bargaining agent for approximately 75 shipping lines, stevedore companies, marine terminal operators and maintenance and repair companies at California, Oregon and Washington ports. West Coast port operations (including non-containerized cargo such as bulk and autos) now support 9 million U.S. jobs and contribute 12.5 percent of the U.S. GDP.
PMA’s primary purpose is to negotiate and administer labor contracts with the International Longshore & Warehouse Union on behalf of the Association’s member companies, as well as administrating payroll and certain benefits. Our headquarters and administrative office is located in San Francisco, California, with area offices in Southern California (Long Beach, with satellite offices in Port Hueneme and San Diego) and the Pacific Northwest (Portland, Oregon and Seattle and Tacoma, Washington) in addition to Northern California (Oakland).
Reporting to the Area Associate Director, the Labor Relations Associate will require a proficiency in labor contract administration, which may include negotiations, benefits administration, forecasting manpower needs, grievance investigation and resolution, including arbitration.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Assist in analyzing collective bargaining agreements and interpretation of intent, spirit, and terms of contract to counsel management in development and application of labor relations policies and practices.
- Assist the Benefits Administrator, including researching claims, such as vacation and holiday, as well as running steady worker reports and maintaining a tracking program when necessary.
- Prepare statistical reports of types and frequency of actions taken concerning grievances, arbitration, mediation, and related labor relations activities, to identify problem areas.
- Coordinate and produce routine reports from PMA databases for Area Office.
- Research the terms of labor contract to monitor the day-to-day implementation of policies concerning wages, hours, and working conditions.
- Investigate complaints of violations against longshore workers. Report on findings and provide recommend actions.
- Furnish reference documents and statistical data concerning labor legislation, labor market conditions, prevailing union and management practices, wage and salary surveys, and employee benefits programs for labor contract negotiations.
- Provide support to and participate in Joint Labor Relations Committee meetings.
- Compose an accurate account of joint LRC meetings in meeting minutes and any related correspondence.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
To perform the job successfully, the candidate must be knowledgeable and capable in the following areas:
- Possess excellent communication, written, oral, interpersonal and teamwork skills, communicate constructively and confidently, listen openly, and collaborate well with staff and others in different groups.
- Convey a professional and positive attitude with action/results orientation to problem solving.
- Proven ability and experience in exercising good judgment and discretion in handling confidential materials and matters.
- Display flexibility to work effectively in a changing environment and ability to adapt to changes in work environment, work assignments, and/or changes in priorities.
- Sustain productivity in a fast-paced environment.
- Show facility in multi-tasking to meet multiple deadlines while maintaining vigilant attention to detail and focus on producing accurate and complete information.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with peers, staff, and management and outside business contacts.
- Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems.
- Ability to utilize complex nonverbal symbolism (formulas, scientific equations, graphs, etc.) to effectively illustrate information for a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
- Extensive and excellent computer skills and experience using robust systems such as Oracle and software such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint as well as Lotus Notes application. Ability to use software tools to present data clearly and concisely.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, industrial relations or political science from a four year college or university preferred.
- Three to four years direct industry experience with emphasis in Labor Relations is preferred.
- A valid California Driver’s License and automobile are required for this job.
- Must be able to work and sit at a computer terminal for an extended period of time.
- Must be able to lift up to 5 lbs.
- Must be able to crouch, bend and reach on a daily basis.
- Must be able to climb ladders/gangways, etc. for on the job dispute resolution.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
The work environment combines an office setting with frequent visits outside of the office area. This position requires frequent travel to various ports within the Southern California area, with visits to docks, terminals and ships. It is occasionally necessary to board ships, in all weather conditions.
Pacific Maritime Association is an equal opportunity employer.
Please email or fax your cover letter and resume (in MS Word, PDF, or text format) to:
Human Resources Department
Please write “Labor Relations Associate - Long Beach” in the subject line.