Payroll Senior Accountant
Provide senior-level payroll and accounting work under the direction of the Accounting Manager. Manage staff payroll, regulatory and tax compliance, internal controls, and related accounting for multi-state non-profit, for-profit, and pension payrolls. Provide complex analytics, oversee payroll centric audits, and assist in forecasts and budgets. Provide senior-level backup for senior accountant function in accounts payable and receivable functions. Provide technical payroll expertise to the organization.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide technical payroll expertise and analysis as needed to the Accounting Manager, Assistant Controller, Controller, HR, CFO, and other senior management in audit, budget, compliance, and tax reporting discrepancies.
- Maintain and process four scheduled payrolls (three semi-monthly and one monthly) and complete related review and reporting packages.
- Maintain compliance of payroll work in accordance with management and auditor recommendations, regulatory requirements, GAAP, and labor agreements.
- Responsible for reporting and analysis of executive compensation and benefits for Form 990 reporting.
- Prepare quarterly workers compensation reporting for staff and PMA Longshore Payroll reporting to states and outside vendors.
- Responsible for quarterly and annual tax filings, 5500 reporting, and other compliance-related returns.
- Manage and implement payroll system enhancements and process improvements.
- Produce senior level accounting work, including complex general ledger entries, reconciliations, and account analysis for payroll specific accounts.
- Manage and prepare financial audit deliverables for annual staff 401(k) Plan and Executive Compensation Review.
- Prepare detailed analysis, supporting schedules and detailed internal control documents for PMA consolidated audit.
- Assist in forecasts and budgets in coordination with Human Resources, Controller, and Sr. Manager of FPR&A.
- Create, develop, monitor and upgrade as appropriate certain internal accounting policies, procedures, and controls.
- Perform bank functions to include, tracking and accounting for disbursements in payroll bank account and monthly reconciliation.
- Reengineer accounting processes and procedures as necessary to improve the efficiency of work streams, visibility of information, and usefulness of the internal control and review process.
- Assist in the month end close process and assist in other senior accountants in the accounts payable and receivable operations.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
To perform the job successfully, the candidate must be knowledgeable and capable in the following areas:
- Ability to manage 401(k) plan audit and compliance activities.
- Ability to manage complex third-party payroll system configuration and setup activities. ADP Workforce Now Version 16.0 or similar preferred. ADP Reporting, ADP HRB and ADP Time & Attendance experience a plus.
- Ability to create journal entries, reconciliations and use accounting software (Oracle preferred) for analysis.
- Ability to comprehend and apply knowledge of federal and state-specific payroll laws, California, Nevada, Oregon and Washington specific experience preferred.
- Ability to take initiative, offer ideas, and operate with minimal supervision.
- Ability to be a technical leader among his or her peers and effectively communicate technical payroll knowledge to help problem solve for complex payroll-related issues.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive, cooperative, and productive working relationships.
- Possess excellent communication, written, oral, interpersonal and teamwork skills, communicate constructively and confidently, listen openly, and collaborate well with staff and others in different groups.
- Experience using complex accounting systems such as Oracle or SAP; specifically in the payables, receivables and general ledger modules.
- Possess advanced Microsoft Excel skills that include pivot tables and complex formulas and functions.
- Display integrity and take ownership for meeting the goals and objectives of the position.
- Convey a professional and positive attitude with action/results orientation to problem solving and continuous improvement of the operational performance of the position.
- Ability and experience to exercise good judgment and discretion in handling confidential materials and matters.
- Display strong initiative for own technical development including learning from others about the nuances of the organization’s operational activities and industry.
- Demonstrate ability to work collaboratively with peers, staff, and management and outside business contacts.
- Possess excellent numerical, analytical, and business problem solving skills. Attention to detail with a high degree of accuracy using good business judgment with strong user focus.
- Ability to handle multiple demands and prioritize workloads to meet deadlines while maintaining vigilant attention to detail and focus on producing accurate and complete information.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- BS in Accounting, Business or payroll-related field.
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) a plus
- American Payroll Association (APA) member preferred
- At least 7 to 10 years of progressive payroll and HR experience in a corporate environment including:
Management of payroll for hourly, contract, salaried, and pension employees
Payroll for leaves and pay integration
Executive compensation reporting
Tax & regulatory compliance
Development of internal controls
Managing audit deliverables
Maintaining and improving quality of accounting information
- Must be able to work and sit at a computer terminal for an extended period of time.
- Must be able to lift up to 5 lbs.
- Must be able to crouch, bend and reach on a daily basis.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
Pacific Maritime Association is an equal opportunity employer.